Winter Superfoods Bowls
Updated: Feb 14, 2020
As the snow flies from the south outside our window, I felt it's a good evening to share some favorite recipes we have enjoyed this winter. Michigan has had a mild winter with more rain & sleet then snow. Tonight's a good night to hunker down, make a good meal & stay snowed in. This bowl has been our go to this winter. Enjoy!
2 sweet potatoes (cut into 1 inch cubes)
2 medium beets, peeled, (cut into 1 inch cubes)
2 cups brussel sprouts (cut in half lengthwise)
1 cup chopped kale
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil (divided use)
1 medium avocado
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Sea salt + Pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
1 cup farro (cooked)
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
1/4 cup sliced almonds (toasted)
1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place beets and sweet potatoes in a bowl & drizzle with 1/2 tsp. oil, 1/4 tsp. cumin, salt & pepper. Once mixed together, place on a large baking sheet.
3. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir.
4. Add the brussel sprouts. Drizzle with 1/2 tsp. oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir halfway through or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
5. While vegetables are baking, make the dressing by placing avocado, water, lime juice, vinegar, remaining 1 Tbsp. oil, garlic, remaining 1/4 tsp. cumin & salt in blender (or food processor). Blend until smooth & set aside.
6. Evenly divide farro among 4 serving bowls. Evenly top with kale, chickpeas, roasted vegetables, dressing, almonds & sunflower seeds. Serve immediately.