Spanish rice made from scratch!
Makes 3 servings
1 cup dry brown rice
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 pinch saffron
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 medium shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup small whole mushrooms
1 cup cubed eggplant
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
20 black olives
20 green olives
1/4 teas. sea salt & pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1. Combine rice, broth & saffron in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil; cook, covered for 45 to 50 minutes. Keep covered or rice will not cook evenly.
2. While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, and eggplant. Cook, stirring frequently for 5-6 minutes or until peppers are tender.
3. Add olives, salt & pepper, cumin & cook for 1 minute.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Add rice, tomatoes, and peas to bell pepper mixture. Mix well.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.