Recipe from taprootmag.com
Originally published in Issue 28: GRAIN
by Marisa McClellan
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 teas salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
1. Put the rolled oats in a food processor & pulse until the oats have broken into a rough meal.
2. Add the flour, sugar, salt & combine 2 or 3 times to combine.
3. Dump mixture into a large bowl. Stream in the water & canola oil & mix with hands into a rough ball.
4. Scrape the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and work into a disc. Cover disc with a bowl or damp cloth & let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. This allows the grains time to absorb the liquid.
5. Once dough has relaxed, heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Roll out dough on parchment paper, Roll out until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into squares about 2 inches wide. Place squares on prepared baking sheets & prick each cracker 3 times with a fork.
7. Sprinkle crackers with course salt, dried herbs, seasoning salt, etc.. Our favorite combination is salt & an Italian herb mix.
8. Bake the crackers for 15-20 minutes until they begin to dry out & get brown around edges. Remove baking sheets from oven & let crackers cool in place.
9. Once cool, store in airtight container. Crackers will keep for 1-2 weeks at room temperature.