Corn & Zucchini Summer Soup
The perfect soup to use up summer veggies & get ready for fall recipes!
Ingredients: A package of bacon 2 (1 lb.) russet potatoes
1 bay leaf
carrot, peeled + chopped (1/2 cup),
celery ribs, chopped (1/3 cup)
4 ears corn, sweet fresh
2 garlic cloves
parsley, fresh (1/2 tsp)
1 cup yellow onion
1 medium zucchini cayenne pepper (a sprinkle or two)
fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter
1 cup Half and half 4 cups of vegetable broth
1. Cook bacon separately and chop into small pieces. Set aside. Reserve a spoonful or two of bacon fat (grease).
2. In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and thyme; cook until vegetables begin to soften, stirring a couple of times for about 5 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, vegetable broth, and bay leaf. Raise the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, then lower the heat back to medium and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are halfway cooked.
4. Add zucchini and corn; season with salt and pepper, to taste, and simmer for additional 8-12 minutes or until the vegetables are completely tender.
5. Discard the bay leaf and then transfer 2 cups of chowder to a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Stir the mixture back into the pot. Add a spoonful or two of bacon fat for additional flavor or skip it.
6. After the mixture has cooled a bit, add half and half and cook just until heated through.
7. Taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with fresh chopped parsley, pieces of bacon and sprinkle of cayenne pepper.